Silver has been used medicinally for centuries, dating back to the days of Hippocrates. Ancient Mediterranean civilizations used it to promote the purity and safety of their drinking water.
Ancient Mediterranean civilizations used it to promote the purity and safety of their drinking water. The metal, which was highly valued for its antimicrobial properties, was often used as a lining for utensils, dishes, and drinking vessels to keep food fresh and prevent spoilage. In the days before antibiotics, silver was the treatment of choice for infections and wounds, including surgical wounds and soldiers’ wounds during World War I.
In the 1930s, when doctors started relying on antibiotics to treat infections, silver use dropped out of favor. Fortunately, you can still reap the health benefits of silver today in the form of liquid and topical colloidal silver. More people are discovering the healing powers of colloidal silver, particularly with the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria. While human research is somewhat limited, anecdotal evidence is substantial when it comes to colloidal silver’s health benefits.
Top 5 Health Benefits of Colloidal Silver
1. Helps resolve gut issues
I’ve done my fair share of colon cleanses in the past 10 years. One of my favorites, hands down, is a colloidal silver and aloe cleanse developed by Robert Scott Bell, a homeopathic practitioner and radio show host. According to Scott Bell, this therapy helps resolve gut issues, including leaky gut syndrome, candida, diverticulitis, bloating, IBS, constipation, and damage from antibiotic overuse.
How to make a colloidal silver gut cleanse:
Mix 1 oz. colloidal silver with 1 oz. pure aloe juice; drink three times daily
(45 minutes away from food or drink) for 2–6 weeks. Also, take a probiotic at
2. Improves immune health
Colloidal silver is known as a natural antibiotic, antifungal, and antiviral substance. According to research by Larry C. Ford, MD, at the UCLA School of Medicine, viral, fungal, and bacterial microbes were killed within minutes of exposure to silver. Some of the top immune-supportive uses include:
- Enhancing overall immune function (I take 1 tsp. before and after a flight to avoid getting sick).
- Easing sinus infections and allergies (try adding a few drops to a neti pot or spray directly up your nose).
- Promoting recovery and soothing symptoms from colds and flu; use at the first sign of illness if possible.
- Aiding in recovery from bacterial infections, including respiratory infections, pink eye, and ear infections (place 2–3 drops in each ear, three times daily).
3. Fights fungal infections
Colloidal silver is known as a potent antifungal and can be used to help relieve ringworm, candida, thrush, and other fungal infections. According to a study in the Iranian Journal of Biotechnology, pine pollen helped enhance the antifungal effects of silver nanoparticles.
4. Promotes Healthy Skin
If you have any skin issues, including skin infections, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, and acne, colloidal silver gel may help reduce inflammation, pain, and redness. The gel doubles as a beauty product—I dab it under my eyes to help with fine lines. It also make a great night cream.
5. Used for First Aid Remedy
Colloidal silver gel is a must-have for your first aid kit. Apply to minor cuts, burns, scrapes, bites, and bruises. It’s also great to have on hand when traveling.
How to use silver supplements:
- Safety First: Certain forms of silver are unstable (i.e., they are excreted without being absorbed by the body), and they come with increased toxicity risks. While these dangers are dependent on dosage, it’s best to stick with brands from reputable manufacturers. Low-quality silver has been associated with argyria, a rare condition in which the skin turns blue.
- High-Quality Silver: One standout type is Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol, a mixture of highly refined silver ions and silver nanoclusters. Thanks to the extremely small particle size (as low as 0.8nm), this form is completely safe when taken as directed. Bio-Active Silver Hydrosol also contains 98% positively charged silver for optimum effectiveness.
- Dosage Guidelines: Take 45 minutes away from any food or drink. You can add the liquid to smoothies, juices, smoothie bowls, etc. You can also mix 2 oz. of colloidal silver liquid per gallon of water and sip throughout the day.
Written by Liana Werner-Gray for Better Nutrition and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to email@example.com.
As many of you know we don't actually sell colloidal silver so you may be wondering why we've posted this blog. Nanosilver and colloidal silver share many of the same benefits including the ones listed above. However, there are a few main differences. One of them is how the silver particles are caped. The particles in the colloidal silver aren't capped, meaning that the particles easily fall apart. Because these particles fall apart colloidal silver doesn't last as long or work as efficiently. On the other hand, nanosilver particles are capped with a plant extract making them more stable and nontoxic. Although both products can help your body in similar ways, nanosilver is more effective because of the way its created. It's created to perform a variety of different functions multiple times, for a long time. Colloidal silver performs one function and then it's done.